| 
Register
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Vintage NASCAR Pontiac's racing
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Vintage NASCAR Pontiac's racing
Vintage NASCAR Pontiac's racing 7 Years, 10 Months ago  
I had the pleasure this past weekend of attending the AACA Grand National Meet in Williamsport, PA, and once again sharing the show field with my friend Tommy Nolen (whom I met at the AACA Fall Hershey Meet in 2010). Tommy does some of the nicest ‘60’s full-size muscle car restorations you will see and was there with a beautiful ’61 bubble-top Catalina.
He was telling me about his experiences driving Pontiac’s in 1960’s NASCAR events, and kind enough to share some pictures.

Tommy states “…some photos from my racing days. I worked for a man named Worth McMillion, Worth had Pontiac race cars that raced in the NASCAR Grand National Division. He had two cars and I drove the second car in some races in 1965, '66 and '67. These pictures were taken at either RIR in Richmond, Va. or Martinsville, Va.

That's me standing by the #83 car, picture was taken before Spring race at Richmond on May 15th, 1966. Also, the picture in the pits was taken by someone as I was waiting to go out to qualify.

The number #83 car is a Catalina, it was ordered through Bauer Pontiac in Powhatan, Va. It was the 376 H.O. motor with a 3-speed manual transmission. The car had no radio or heater, it had steel wheels with the little hub caps. Worth took the motor out and put it in his ‘62 Pontiac station wagon.

The number #80 car was also a Catalina, it was purchased from a local junk yard. It had had an interior fire. Before those two cars he had a ‘62 Catalina . He had two SD motors, one was a 421 and one was a 389.

When he ran bought cars I got to drive whatever he felt like was the second car so I sometimes drove the #80 car.
In the photo that was taken from the announcer’s stand while we were waiting to qualify, the number #22 Impala is Curtis Turner driving Smokey Yunick's car.”

For more about Worth McMillion, go to this page
OldInjun
Admin
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2016/06/06 17:24 By OldInjun.Reason: add photos
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Vintage NASCAR Pontiac's racing 7 Years, 10 Months ago  
More from Tommy Nolen:

“This is the '62 Catalina that Worth raced… ordered new from Boyer Pontiac, Amelia, Va., the little town where we grew up in. This photo was taken at the 9/10 mile dirt track in Hillsborough, N.C. I don't know how familiar you are with the guys from NASCAR in the sixties but see the guy looking at the tire in the lower right hand corner of the picture ….the guy with the blue shirt on beside him is NASCAR Hall of Famer Cotton Owens. Remember, he used to drive a ‘60 Pontiac.
It's also neat to look at the crowd, they are sitting on the ground! Wonder how the wine and cheese crowd today that set in air conditioned condo's at the Super Speedways would have handled that?
After Worth quit racing in 1968, I continued on in the Late Model Sportsman Division always using the number 83. I didn't drive anymore, always had hired drivers.”

OldInjun
Admin
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2016/06/07 11:16 By OldInjun.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1
Copyright © 2024 Pontiac 2+2 Registry · Website by  Garnet Design Group