| 
Register
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Go to bottomPage: 123
TOPIC: '63 Cat
'63 Cat 10 Years, 5 Months ago  
In addition to 2+2's, I have always loved the styling of the '63 Pontiac's. The Catalina especially always brings back memories of Pontiac's last fling at drag racing competition with the fabled Swiss Cheese cars. So a week ago I fell prey to "auction fever" at Carlisle and purchased a "plain Jane" '63 Catalina coupe. As far as I can tell, someone went into a dealership and said, "I want the cheapest Big Car you sell - maybe just add an AM radio and a day/night mirror." Seriously, that's all it has. Economy 389, 3-speed manual column shift, no powers of any kind.
So I need to upgrade a few things. Sad to change an original drive train, but it is going to be a 421/455 multi-carbed monster with a 4-speed floor shift by the time I am finished. I've taken my 2+2 as far as I can go, performance-wise, without destroying its originality, and high 13-second runs aren't good enough. The '63 doesn't compare in value, so I can modify to my heart's (and wallet's) content.

OldInjun
Admin
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Last Edit: 2013/10/10 16:08 By OldInjun.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:'63 Cat 10 Years, 5 Months ago  
NICE 1 JACK......IT LOOKS PRETTY WELL MAINTAINED & ORIGINAL. I CAN SEE THE MAKING OF A BEAUTIFUL SUPER DUTY CLONE THERE.....MY 1st SUGGESTION,.... WHACK A SET OF 8 LUGGERS ON.....HAPPY HOT RODDIN'
CHEERS TODD.
421 HO
graphgraph

It is very original, except for a re-paint in the factory color and replacement upholstery. I can concentrate on the go-fast stuff.
The Cragar wheels are definitely headed for Ebay/Craigslist. I have extra 8-lugs in the garage (buried somewhere - my garage is disgustingly overstuffed) which will go on the car.
It's been a lot of extra work to have the 2+2 doing triple duty - cruising, concours judging & racing. With this car I can "retire" the 2+2 from the strip, except for an occasional blast to keep it limber.
OldInjun
Admin
graph

another great Pontiac, luv the red interior, lots of future fun!
john
graphgraph

Re:'63 Cat Update 9 Years, 10 Months ago  
I spent a lot of time over the winter making plans to transform this nice original driver into a 1/4-mile racer, only to "change horses" and go in a different direction. Here's the long-story-short version:
Shortly after buying the '63 I called longtime friend Mark Pickett to discuss my plans. Mark is one of the Pickett Brothers, of "Running Injun' Racing" fame. They had rebuilt the engine in my 2+2. When told of my purchase, Mark advised me that I should have bought the '63 Cat racer that they built for another friend/customer. I knew the car well and had always admired it. That car was actually the inspiration for my purchase and plans for the car I bought. They were almost identical in appearance, right down to the Marimba Red paint. I was not aware that the car Mark referred to was available for purchase.
After I came up with a budget for modifying my Cat, I realized that the financially smart move was to buy the other car. Although I have a strong preference for manual shift cars - the other has an automatic - the car is basically turnkey, and "old school" shifting is not the best way to get down the 1/4-mile anyway. So I bit the bullet, sold the car pictured above at a local swap meet, and bought the race car, along with an open car trailer.

Here's a few shots of the new car:

OldInjun
Admin
graph
Last Edit: 2014/05/07 10:59 By OldInjun.

Re:'63 Cat Update 9 Years, 10 Months ago  
I have not checked in in a while,looks like you miss a lot when you don't kep up.BIG CAT looks like a winner.Still trying to work out plans for Norwalk,hope to get there again.
8lug
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 123
Copyright © 2024 Pontiac 2+2 Registry · Website by  Garnet Design Group