| 
Register
Banner
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Long road Trip
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Long road Trip
Long road Trip 13 Years, 6 Months ago  
Took the 64 Catalina 2+2 on road Trip last week. 654 mi each way from Ontario Canada to Charleston West Virginia for a car show there, 971 cars were registered for the show in downtown Charleston, from Thurs. to Sun. afternoon. The "OL" Poncho ran great, & only had 3 fill ups the whole way, Averaged 18+ MPG & ran it around 65 to 73 MPH keeping the frt. carter 4bbl. from "kicking" in !!!! Made it down in 11hrs. & back in 10 1/2hrs, I may have won the long distance award, waiting to hear, but that doesn't matter, went for the show. I was amazed at the the # of TQ's there [trailer queens] from local area, & they were even more "amazed" that I drove the 2+ 2 there!!! I said to some of them that inquired, that" IF I CAN'T DRIVE IT, I DON'T WANT IT"!!!! The best part is going & coming home from a show. The # of "thumbs up" I got on the highway is better than getting any award at the show, & if you do win a trophy, to me that's just a BONUS winning isn't everything, but I have seen people get so upset about not winning, that they have a "tantrum" right there in front of everybody. To those people I say " GET A LIFE" enjoy the show, walk around & meet others, & quit polishing & cleaning your vehicle all day long!!! The people were great at the show, West Virginia is one of the prettiest states I've seen & the fall colours coming home were "spectactular"!!!!
dualquad
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Long road Trip 13 Years, 5 Months ago  
I'm right there with you on the pleasure of a road trip in a Big Pontiac. It's like riding your sofa at 70 mph.These things were built for the road, not the trailer. Best mpg I got was 16.5.
My 2+2's been "done" (an oxymoron, I know, these old cars are never really finished) for less than 11/2 years, and I've put over 5,000 miles on it. Last year i drove it from Delaware to Dayton, Ohio (POCI Co-Vention), and to Norwalk, OH (Tri-Power Nationals). This summer I drive it to Carleston, WVA (POCI Convention), and back to Norwalk. Throw in a bunch of trips to PA, MD & New Jersey. All great trips, all great events.
Next year my schedule is even more ambitious - POCI Convention is in Bowling Green, about 14 hours each way. I'll go to Norwalk again. I'm also thinking of AACA meets at Charllotte, NC, or Stowe, VT.
Damn, I might as well make the 2+2 my daily driver.
OldInjun
Admin
graph

I got you beat on the milage, did over 7000 this summer,2 trips to Charleston, one in June for a small show [FOP] & Oct. trip for the Doo Wop + a cruise in every night of the week & at least one show on the wknds. I changed out the rear gears to 2:67 with a turbo 350 Trans. [OLDS] 2 Carter AFB's Comp Cam H268 455 lift & this will still rip the tires in 2nd. gear!!! Can't complain on milage seeing as the articles I've read say it got around 15 mpg. NEW Doesn't like this eythenol crap gas, I try & run premium, with no eythenol, can still find it up here at some stations & also use "lead" additive every 3rd. tank!! If I stay around 65mph. only the back carb is working, kick it & the speedo goes up rapidly, but the gas guage goes the other way just as fast!!!
dualquad
graphgraph

Sounds like a neat ride. I'm running the stock 3.42 rear, hence the lower gas mileage.
Since you like Charleston so much, you should have gone in July for POCI. We had a 2+2 Reunion - I think perhaps the first of its kind.
OldInjun
Admin
graph

We were planning on going but then my nephew annouced he was getting married that same week in Cuba, so to keep peace in the family, had to cancel the convention, & go to the wedding. Not the place you want to go at that time of yr. HOT HOT HOT Beaches were beautifull, resort was A-1 He's a Automotive teacher at a High School & that was the only time they could do the wedding!!! Would have been "cheaper "to do the convention!!! Your running the same gear ratio that I took out. When I swapped out the "slim jim" it made a world of difference in the drivability of the car, as well as switching from the 8 lugs to reg. drums & Cragar S/S wheels!! Even my wife noticed the difference!!! Said "is this the same car"
dualquad
graphgraph

Go to topPage: 1
Copyright © 2024 Pontiac 2+2 Registry · Website by  Garnet Design Group